In May: We Are Wild about Almond Milk!
It’s time to welcome the beautiful month of May. The sun is out, flowers are blooming and it’s as though everyone is finally crawling out of hibernation.
We’ve moved away from warm soups and comforting curries and towards iced lattes and smoothie bowls. In celebration of everything fresh, healthy and clean for the new season, this month we’re wild about nut milks. In case you were wondering what the hype is...let us clarify.
What is almond milk?
Almond “milk” is very simply a “milk-like” beverage made from almonds or a mix of almonds with other nuts and/or seeds. In order to make this beverage, almonds are usually blended with water and then strained to make a light, flavourful beverage that can be used as a dairy milk alternative.
What are the nutritional benefits of almond “milk”?
- Rich in vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin E
- Almond “milk” is a much lighter, low fat and lower calorie option
- Unsweetened alternatives are very low in sugar
What to look out for when buying almond milk?
Almond milk is not necessarily the healthier choice, it depends very much which almond milk you buy. Before you buy your next carton of almond milk, make sure you check for the following:
1. Read the ingredients - the less, the better. Avoid almond milks with many additives
2. Opt for unsweetened versions - many store-bought almond milks are loaded with sugar
3. Go organic - almonds easily absorb pesticides due to their high fat content, so always chose the organic option
Words by Victoria Sardain